[pianotech] S&S K52 Rebuild (?)

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Fri Jun 8 20:06:41 MDT 2012

> Gene,
> My first response is: If it isn't busted, DON"T FIX IT! Sheesh. The K52,
> imo, is one of the best Uprights ever! Yes, the bass bridge is not in
> alignment with the upper "V" Bar. So what?!
***So I have a vision of things I want to do and don't  care how great the K is. I may just do some busting of my own. The fun comes when I have to fix it.
> If you don't like that
> particular sound, then redrill the bridge and notch to match the "V" Bar.
***i posted the pics partly to query those with experience how to do exactly that - I can notch very well at 90 deg to string plane but to angle it to the left and how to figure just how much eludes me.
> Forget the Aggraffe nonesense. Agraffes are not the best termination imo.
> Besides, if you go to brass, (agraffes), from Iron/Steel, (the "V"
> Bar/Spacing Pins), you will change the tonal production.
*** it is my intent to change the tone from dead to hopefully something better - I can't give up on garages just yet.
> As for keeping the
> String Maker happy? WHY? They don't care, as long as you give them correct
> specs! Another Sheesh
*** I may have assumed a bit much from string makers but for me I like symmetry.
> IMO, changing the basic intent of the designer is not worth the trouble.
> Nor, is it suggested. When you have your creds for Piano Design, then do
> something different. First of all, go to college and get your Degrees in
> Acoustics and Engineering and a whole lot of other needed basic knowledge.
*** I am afraid I will be using my limited experience as well as ideas from everyone that offers it - I will be senile or dead before I get creds like that.

Thanks
Gene