[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Tue Jun 12 17:47:31 MDT 2012

Hi Gene,

Yes, that is what I did. I do not have a better picture of it however. What
I did was simply rout out enough material around each of the outer-most
tuning pin holes in each section, but leaving all the original plate screw
holes. Made for inserts of rather interesting shapes. But I didn't worry so
much about getting a perfect fit for the inserts, rather I simply made sure
there was insert wood where all the tuning pin holes were and bonded the
inserts in place using the West System two-step bonding method (with West
System epoxy). The gaps were filled with epoxy thickened with West System
High Density Adhesive Filler.

Seems to have worked.

Terry Farrell

*** Thanks Terry,
For each insert, how did you go about setting them in place/adjusting the
height so that they fit snug against the inside of the plate in their final
resting place? Did you just make them flush with the original material that
you did not remove?
Did you epoxy under the inserts or just around the edges?

Gene