[pianotech] Fwd: Metro Vac 'n Blo

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 15:54:38 MDT 2012

     Please, everyone, just remember that a traditional vacuum cleaner bag is an ideal place for germs to germinate. ( Warm, humid ---from condensation--- filthy and dark. ) For this reason, it is illegal to run a vacuum cleaner in a restaurant, in every state, while people are eating. (Place a flashlight against the exhaust-end airflow of a vacuum ceaner in a darkened room, turn it on, and watch the crud fly out! Like the Jolly Green Giant (TM) just sneezed!) I wouldn't want to blow that into anyone's nice piano, especially if the last thing cleaned with it was a filthy old "clunker"; so I keep a couple on hand -- an old $5 "beater" for vacuuming up filth,  and a new small one ( tiny ShopVac(TM) $30)  for blowing relatively innocuous dust, and vacuuming up clean sawdust.
     When I move a piano, I like to take the action out BEFORE loading. This both gets the weight down,
and allows a nice blowing out, outside ( with an air compressor) prior to placing in the customer's new locale.
( And gives one the chance to explain the benefits of hammer shaping, punching replacement, lubrication and etc., quite graphically. )
     Large cardboard bicycle boxes (available free at many bike shops) fit both upright and grand actions, beautifully. The uprights can just be lowered in gentlly while holding the brackets, while grands can be slid (carefully) in while the box is tilted toward you at an angle, with the key side going in first. Then I carry and store either, vertically.
   Big mattress bags can be used to cover grands for storage or shipping. The King Sized ones I get from self-storage outfits for about $4 each. I've covered a 5'9" grand with them, but suspect they might also cover up to 6'. (More completely encapsulating than drop cloths, etc..)

Thumpe