[pianotech] metro vac and blow

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 18 12:58:36 MDT 2012

"Ron, et al,
I've been using a Dyson DC30 for a couple of years now for in-home use.
Very compact, strong vacuum with good size capacity.
Unfortunately no blow function."

IMO  that makes it worthless!
 I've been using a Hoover/Wards Vacuum for the last 39 years! It still does
the job very well. Taking the bag out is a good idea, to get it to blow
better, which is definately needed. I've carefully cleaned with the
suction/brushes, etc., to the point of thinking: " I got it all", and then
turned it on blow and found that I didtn't!<G>
All this stuff about "the germs" is mostly B.S. imo. Our society's penchant
for using hand sanitizers and all the other crap to keep from getting
something is, imo,  a waste of time and money. (In a former life, I was an
Isolation Expert in the Medical Field, in regards to Respitory systems,
etc.) Our immune system takes care of the every day germs out there. Yes,
we should be cautious, but not to the point of being paranoid! BTW, we
should urge pianists to wash their hands, but not to use hand creams and
sanitizers. The hand creams really screw up ivory and leave nasty crud on
the key tops and sides. The sanitizers degrade plastic key tops, because
they are almost pure alcohol. The rest of those have nasty gel substances
and other goo that really slimes up the keys. Yuck! AND, while I'm at it, I
wish all those plug in SMELL products would disappear! I'm allergic to most
and have to tell clients to not use them 24 hours before I get there. Many
clients over-do that, to the point of pure insanity! (The world ain't a
damned rose garden!<G>)
Just my take on all of that.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.