[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 44, Issue 50

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 16:21:39 MDT 2012

Paul,
I would disagree with the "screw" thing. Screws, actually do not "...add
strength" as well as well place dowels. Screws, by their basic nature have
a tendency to create their own "splits". After viewing the photo, I would
advise to add the dowels, (7/32" upright shanks would be my choice). I
would also use Titebond II or better yet Titebond III..OR a good grade of
epoxy would be my second choice, if there needs to be some gap filling
done. Once the whole thing is back together, I'd redrill for the lag screw
to make sure that it is the right size. BTW, when inserting the Lag Screw,
I'd have the leg clamped in a vice or by a good wooden Jorgensen clamp.
This allows the screw threads to get their full bite and not causing a new
split.
Your comment re. the "liability" is a valid one and should be considered.
However, I would bet that the darned thing split by someone moving their
own piano and doing it wrong. Free standing legs are definately an
abomination, imo.
Regards,
Joe