[pianotech] Can you fix it?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 17:08:51 MDT 2012

Wim said:
" got a call from a lady saying her son dropped her piano while moving it
off the porch. The sides are a little damaged, and some notes don't play,
and there might be a broken string. She's had it since she was a child, and
has lots sentimental value, so please come and fix it.

When I got to the house, the piano was sitting outside, under a tarp. When
I told her husband that the piano was toast, he had the nerve, or maybe it
was the stupidity, to ask what it is worth. He said, "all the keys are
still there, and there's a little termite damage, but can't you fix it?"
Did I do the right thing by telling him I couldn't fix it. Anyone want a
1950's' Wurlitzer spinet, with all the keys, but a "little case damage"?"

Wim,
I'd say you did the right thing and shouldn't even have to ask!<G> It
always amazes me in regards to the "sentimental value" B.S.! If they
thought so highly of the damned thing, WHY did they mistreat it, ignore it,
Negelect it and leave the damned thing out in the weather??
Sheesh! There's something wrong with that whole scenario, imo. Looks like
good pistol/rifle practice fodder!
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.