[pianotech] FW: Re: metro vac and blow (a little OT)

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 21:35:12 MDT 2012

Ha! Ha!
   I've lately (exasperatedly) witnessed SEVERAL examples (in the massive Men's Rooms at the University) of young men exiting stalls or stand-ups, after "handling themselves" and flushing with hand ( or handling latch on stall interior) and then extensively meddling with their faces and hair in front of mirror with said hands BEFORE washing them! (Or not washing at all.) Sadly, they all had terrible acne, and I WAS moved to suggest that they might wisely try washing their hands BEFORE touching their faces, etc........ but got in trouble for (politely) asking someone to wash after relieving themselves 2 years ago. (Was charged with "Harassing a Student" -- even though signs were all over the bathroom requesting the same! Sheesh!!! ) So won't do that again.

   And then, of course, such students go and bang on the big "Boston" I'm fond of playing after lunch --- leaving something tangibly grimly on the keys that does nothing for my "reverie" (I wipe the keyboard area down each day with damp paper towels which show filth) and imparts a bad smell.

!PIANO RELATED QUESTION! Could someone make a nice little sign ( "Pressure-Sensitive"-- no glue required ) that sticks on the key cover interior reading:  "Musicians: please wash your hands immediately prior to playing this costly instrument." or some such? I'd like to hear some suggestions in this regard, and may just make and sell  ---or give away--- such stickers myself! (Joe ---you're a master of subtlety--- ideas???)

Thumpe

P.S. And how about a simple little sign that could go on pianos ( especially in practice rooms) or walls explaining that hands should be washed, strings should not be plucked, piano should not be placed in direct sunlight,
how to open a grand (I've seen MANY opened without folding back the front part lately!) and etc.. Just a little "How to not abuse a piano." thing that desribes the very basics, and why they're so important.