[pianotech] broken strings

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Jun 22 19:20:05 MDT 2012

I will go out on a limb, make some assumptions and  draw some conclusions based on those.  Please tell me if I am way off base.

I think the operative word that many responders may have overlooked is "music director".  I take it this piano is in a church.  I further assume it is used in "contemporary" church music, i.e. it is competing with  a heavenly rock and roll band.  Amateur drum players are seemingly incapable of nuanced or soft playing, so the bass player turns his amp up, and the guitar player then cranks it up to 11.   If this is the case, the pianist is surely pounding the keys (usually with the pedal to the metal) which causes string material fatigue and breakage at the terminations.

Regulation, hammer filing and softening, and new strings and hammers might help to a certain degree, but they do not address the actual problem.

The problem is the pounding of the player.  Solution:  the piano needs to be miked and the player needs his own piano monitor directly beside him, cranked up loudly,  so that he can hear himself play.  The he (she) will not feel moved to pound as much.

Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com