[pianotech] Dampp Chaser Problem

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Fri Jun 22 19:35:49 MDT 2012

I serviced a piano with a light problem some months ago.  I forget whether the light stayed on, or whether it wouldn't come on.  I think it was the former.  In any case, the problem was actually with the heater bar.  I was advised by DC that the heater bar should be replaced, as this symptom indicated that the heater bar did not have much life left in it.  Switching out the bar solved the problem.  (Apparently this problem only affected a certain range of serial numbers.)  It would have been interesting to first install a heater bar sleeve to see if that also served to solve the problem.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter