[pianotech] Silk Cord

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 10:50:21 MDT 2012

Jim asked:
"I underestimated how much silk chord one needs for a jack spring job
(square grand).

This chord I got from from Schaff looks like it has a core and weave(or
whatever you call it). Any chance one could get this stuff locally at a
fabric/upholstery store or some such?"

Jim,
For the life of me, why does the "Silk Cord" persist as THE thing to use
for spring cord!!???? Silk is the last thing I'd ever use! It's known to
self destruct and does not take abrasion worth a hoot!  For the umpteenth
time, I'll say it : Go to your local sporting goods store and get some
"Backing Line". This stuff comes in all sorts of Braided sizes. It is used
to suppliment the fly line so that when that 30 lb. Kokanie takes a run,
you don't run out of line and then lose the fish!<G> It is braided nylon
line. It used to be called Casting Line, when "level wind" reels were
prevalent, (I won't say they were In Favor<G>). Famous for the
ever-chilling BACK LASH!<G>
Hope that helps.
BTW, make sure that the spring starts to engage when the jack is at 45
degrees! That is critical!
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police