[pianotech] Storytone - Soundboard-less piano

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 27 01:35:35 MDT 2012

You missed MY Point entirely.
Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Magness
To: joegarrett at earthlink.net;pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: 6/26/2012 9:55:39 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Storytone - Soundboard-less piano

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Joseph Garrett <joegarrett at earthlink.net> wrote:

Mike said:
"I was called out on one of those about 15 or 20 years ago by a HS
classmate of mine, I think if memory serves, it was in the house when he
bought it, in the basement of course. It was a spinet, again if I'm
recalling correctly & the tuning pins seemed awfully loose. He had no one
that played & he was wondering if there was any value to it, I couldn't
find anyone interested in it at the time & I believe it ended up in the
landfill.
My point is that unless someone wanted to restore it as a museum piece the
cost of restoration would probably out weigh any interest as a conversation
piece."

Mike,
I really disagree. What's to "restore" for god sake?? Put that sucker on
it's back. CA the tuning pins. Yank the tube preamp/amplifier and jack that
sucker into a good Peavey amp! TUNE it, practice your skills for crying out
loud. No big deal, imo.
 "RETRO" is IN with the Indy Bands, etc. There is a value to these unique
instruments, imo. I really think you all should get out of your trite
little box of mental blase' and look around you. See what's really going on
in the music world,  (outside of the "Classical" world)!!
Sheesh! Sigh!
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

Joe said "What's to "restore" for god sake??" My point exactly! I have a phrase I use often when customers want me to fix some old spinet, console, studio, upright that's been sitting in a basement unused for 20+ years being a mouse house.
This wasn't a great piano when it was built & it hasn't improved with age!
You may be right, some "Indy Band" MIGHT want it but the uniqueness of it will wear off, VERY FAST, after they've moved it night after night, because it's still heavy!
Yes, I do live in the real world where real people don't like to move real pianos daily & Indy Bands don't get 5 year gigs in a showroom on the Vegas strip. They move, a lot, different venue several nights a week!

You see I'm the piano tech for a store that sells Peavey equipment, I know  the kind of musicians you're referring to, personally, keyboards are easier to move, stay in tune & fit in a car. Not my opinion, theirs, they learned on pianos, given their choice they would rather have a piano, ALSO, but the keyboard is more versatile. You see when I talk with them I also LISTEN.

Mike

--

I think we are a product of all our experiences.
Sanford I. Weill

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404