[pianotech] Nuckljac -- anyone use this to set jacks to knuckles?

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:00:47 MDT 2012

Everything that Wim said.

Your next door neighbor is not you, neither are the knuckles. Do it as Wim described, the traditional way to get it right.

Al -
High Point, NC

On Jun 27, 2012, at 2:30 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

This is the first time I've seen this tool demonstrated. It's a nifty little thing, but it doesn't do what it's supposed to do. All this does is line up the jack to the neighboring knuckle. It doesn't line up the jack to the knuckle of the same key. Not all knuckles are the same size, especially yon some older instruments.

I've found that the easiest way to line up the knuckle is to do it from the back of the action. Turn the action around so that you are standing in front of the hammers. Raise a couple of hammers to the right of the jack you want to adjust.  Lower the balancier of the wippen under the knuckle, so you can see the knuckle core and jack alignment. Reach around the front of the action to put the tool on the regulating button, and adjust the jack until it lines up with the knuckle.

Wim