[pianotech] Kawai RX-2

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 1 21:52:44 MDT 2012

Al,

It sounds like sticky strings across the capo, which can be common in lot of
pianos.  The strings are digging in to the capo and there is too much
surface contact area.

The quick solution is to use a q-tip or pipe cleaner, and dab a little
Protec CLP under there.

Removing the strings and filing the capo to a more pointed profile, then
polishing it nicely before installing new strings, can help a lot long term.
The factory uses a 2mm radius, but smaller works well in my experience, and
sounds good, too.

You can also try tuning up with a springing motion (as opposed to turning
the pin) for the final fine unison tuning.  With our style of pins, there
isn't a whole lot of spring in the pin, so settling the pin down as usual
just a hair flat, (mmmeeeeeooowwwww - very slightly low) then with the lever
positioned more or less away from you (over the capo bar), just lightly pick
UP on the lever handle to spring the unison into tune.  This can result in a
very stable string without a lot of pounding on this type of piano.

Don Mannino