[pianotech] Was high and outside: now bearing point lubrication.

Elwood Doss edoss at utm.edu
Fri Nov 2 07:19:22 MDT 2012

I use the same liquid and almost never break a string, even with very rusty strings.  What I've found, and I'm an aural tuner, is that no matter how much overpull I begin the pitch raise in the temperament octave by the time I get to the high treble I am actually pulling it up to pitch.   Here's what I did on a 63 year old Acrosonic spinet that hadn't been tuned in 61 years.  The A4 was around 120 cents flat and the high treble was around 220 cents flat.  I am strictly an aural tuner:

I always strip mute the whole piano, except for the treble damper section.  In this case I pulled A4 30 cents sharp and tuned the temperament octave to that pitch.  I tune the center strings and, leaving the strip mute in, pull up the outside strings using the same amount of movement as I did on the center string.  Of course the only purpose is to raise the tension on all the strings a similar amount-I can hear, through the strip mute when the outside strings are approximately up to pitch.  I can do that fairly quickly.  I pull the bass about ½ beat to a beat sharp.  By this time my starting A has dropped approximately 15 cents.  As I move into the treble I will pull the mid treble about 1 beat sharp.  By the time I reach the high treble the temperament octave is close to pitch, and no more than 10 cents flat.  The high treble, tuning it to approximate the pitch of the temperament octave (remember this is down and dirty tuning) is nearly on pitch.  I'm then ready for a fine tune (I use that term loosely in this case) and I find that I can get a decent tuning out of two passes.  I usually suggest a retune in 6 months and the piano will be quite stable after that.

Two comments:  this is a piano that is being used by a beginning piano student so does not require being spot on perfect.  After all they have been listening to a piano that is wildly out of tune.  They are amazed that I can get it "sounding so good!"  If this were a good pianist I would hope that the piano would be in better shape.  I always caution the customer that it will go out of tune fairly quickly as the strings, pins and bearing points attempt to reach an equilibrium. Second, time is not a big issue with me.  It's the challenge of beginning with one note and tuning the whole piano from that one starting note, using my hearing and accumulated knowledge that brings me satisfaction and joy.

Everyone has his/her own way of doing things that work for him/her.  This is the way I've done it for years on all types of old pianos and it works for me.

Joy!
Elwood

Rev. Elwood Doss, Jr., M. Mus. Ed., RPT
Piano Technician/Technical Director