[pianotech] 102 keys and 4 pedals???

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Sat Nov 3 14:29:33 MDT 2012

While they perform similar functions the two bridge pieces are of quite
different design. There were two basic problems with the Sohmer
implementation of this idea. First, the tension of the strings put a
constant twisting force on the agrafe that ultimately either twisted the
bridge/soundboard panel or split the bridge. Second, this tendency to either
twist or split was exacerbated by some of the highest string tensions ever
seen in a modern piano. One that I rebuilt had string tensions measuring
over 250 lbf (yes, that is per individual string) through much of the tenor
and lower treble section. That's enough to destroy any piano.

By contrast the type of bridge termination device used by Stuart, et al do
not put any twisting force on the bridge.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com