[pianotech] Making dowels

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 3 18:48:26 MDT 2012

Hey Jack,

Nifty procedure.  Glad to have that in my bag of tricks if I run out of
dowels and am really in a pinch.  But for the labor and trouble to make
something that inexpensive seems illogical.  I mean, a 3' x 1/4" maple
dowel is $1.02 for me, a 3' x 1/2" maple dowel is $1.79, the cost is even
less if bought in bulk from woodworkers supply.  When I consider my hourly
labor charge, I'd have to set up and make a dowel in less than 1 minute for
the 1/4" dowel to justify doing (and that doesn't even include the cost of
the stock from which to make the dowel).

I understand being self-sufficient, and such, but it's just not good
business management for me.  It would cost me more money making my own.

Still, kudos for thinking it through and coming up with a solution for your
own situation.  Kind of cool.

William R. Monroe