[pianotech] Making dowels

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 3 21:24:23 MDT 2012

Yes, I recognize that off the shelf dowels are far from perfect, and fully
understand the disparate rates of change in wood, depending upon
cross-section.  But I don't recall that I've ever needed a 3' (or 2', or
even a 1') length of perfectly straight, perfectly round dowel.  Not in
piano work anyway.  Maybe when it comes to dowels, my work is a bit
hackish............

But the thread started because of Jack's discouragement based purely on
price, not on crooked, warped, or otherwise unsatisfactory dowel stock.
 His assertion then was that it was, essentially, a cost effective measure
to make his own.  My assertion is that it is not.  As I said, I can see the
utility, and I recognize the coolness of making these kinds of things
oneself.  I've done many such things.  BUT, my sole argument against the
process was that it was not, as was suggested, a cost effective alternative
to high-priced Home Depot dowels.

Now, if you need a perfect Bubinga dowel............
;-]

WRM