[pianotech] English Overdamper piano pinblocks

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Nov 4 18:44:47 MST 2012

Indeed, I bow to your more in depth knowledge of their construction. :-)

I've never seen a pinblock that didn't have at least a couple of
laminations. But the cross section of piano I see in rural Indiana is
admittedly pretty limited.

But I do have a fair amount of experience with the CA. I'll stand by the
recommendation: CA first to deep penetrate, then epoxy to fill the gaps.
Knowing there are no laminations makes it even more important, IMHO, to use
the CA, so it will soak and support the inadequate construction. Epoxy just
will not go into the cellular structure of the wood like CA will, unless you
thin it first, then you lose strength as you know. Epoxy bonds surface to
surface.

That's what Dean would do, which is not always the right thing. Often wrong,
never in doubt.

Dean
Dean W May                (812) 235-5272 voice and text
PianoRebuilders.com    (888) DEAN-MAY
Terre Haute IN 47802