[pianotech] English Overdamper Pin Blocks

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 6 08:07:49 MST 2012

Well, that's exactly why I posed the question. Not so much looking for an answer, but rather to stimulate some thinking.

> I do like to do a bit of prep of getting rid of
> all of the loose stuff and roughing the surface a bit

Of course, that's what you need to do for an optimal epoxy bond. However, how you gonna do that in the teeny tiny little crack such as on the pinblock in question? Unless you go in there with a router, I don't think it's gonna happen. If some sort of repair was warrented in this particular case, even though I am quite aware that a wood-to-wood epoxy bond can be very strong, I would question how strong an epoxy bond would be in whatever kind of crack that pinblock has. Really just trying to point out that even though epoxy is great stuff, when used in less than ideal situations (here, no surface prep), you may get less than optimal results.

Terry Farrell