[pianotech] Flood Damaged Pianos

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 6 08:09:20 MST 2012

Hi Rick,

If they were sitting in water for any length of time I would be very concerned
about structural damage from failing glue joints as well as veneer damage that
might not show up for weeks or months.  If that happens and the piano is later
condemned you could be on the hook- as any insurance company will not reopen a
claim.  Protect yourself. Any newer pianos with MDF cabinets are especially
liable to expand.  Once the MDF 'grows', it is beyond reasonable repair.

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic