[pianotech] Flood Damaged Pianos

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Tue Nov 6 10:54:58 MST 2012

Well Rick, the newer grands sometimes have composite legs that expand when they get wet.  Look for a split in the finish at the corners just above the casters.  If the piano cabinet is made with MDF (medium density fiberboard, chip board, or fiber board as they’re commonly called) then you’ll have the same tendency where ever the water has soaked it long enough.  Veneers can sometimes take a while to lift after such an event.   Bass strings usually don’t fair all that well once they’ve been soaked.  The center core will rust and the string will lose it’s clarity of tone.   Cast iron such as what’s sometimes used with pedals will rust as we speak.  A light misting of lube (outside of and away from the piano) will help reduce this action.  If the pedal pivots were bushed with felt, the felt is most likely still holding moisture.  The felt pads under the pedals are also sure to be holding moisture still  .........  if the glue that holds them is still bonding.

I wonder if someone could cash in on the losses by bringing a trainload of used pianos into the area.