[pianotech] Prof. Schloetz's Tonometer

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Thu Nov 8 07:26:05 MST 2012

While working for a dealership as an employee (a rather short gig) a young man handed me this gem from his recently deceased grandfather’s estate.  He had no clue as to it’s origin or purpose.  I gave him a few bucks and kept it in a drawer hoping to find an answer someday.

The device is quite sensitive and comes with different weights (one has a 7.5 stamped on it and the other a 10).  You can see it measures in the middle of the scale when balanced on top of a pool ball.  There’s a small disk with a curved surface that is used for calibration purposes.  The scale has no indication of units and spreads from zero to twenty.  The numbers 2227 are stamped to the left of the scale. D.B.G.M. is stamped on the back of this scale.

I’ve had thoughts of placing it on a bratwurst or knackwurst to check for firmness and such but I’d hate to get it dirty.