[pianotech] Broken Key Repair

chrisstor at aol.com chrisstor at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 09:46:23 MST 2012

On 11/9/2012 9:44 AM, chrisstor at aol.com wrote:
 A broken key also gets pieces of veneer glued to both sides, spanning
 over the crack.  Trim, sand, and feather the veneer patches so there's
 no rubbing on adjacent keys.  The repair is stronger than the key ever
 would be.
 Chris -
Interestingly (or not), I've always used manilla card or folder stock
or this, with never a failure. It's easier to get and to carry than
eneer, less delicate to handle, requires no sanding and feathering,
asy to cut and to trim after installation, and requires no clamping to
lue as it doesn't curl up as it soaks up glue moisture.
Ron N
Good idea, Ron. I've always got business cards on hand.  I'll give your idea a try.
Yeah, the reason why I wrote was because Marshall was asking about fixing a broken key,
and he was describing how he learned it. (Using adjacent keys as clamping anvils is a good
idea to keep the broken key repair aligned, straight, and flat.

What I noticed was missing in his description was the very important veneer
(or card stock) splints that should be on both sides of the key.  I've come across
broken key repairs (done by others) that didn't have the splints, only to find the the
key broke in the same place because they didn't dry fit the parts cleanly, didn't clamp,
didn't use the splints, or all of the above.  It much more difficult to properly repair
the key the second time through because of all the dry glue blebs in the usually jagged
end of the break.