[pianotech] Broken Key Repair

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Nov 9 10:30:02 MST 2012

On 11/9/2012 10:46 AM, chrisstor at aol.com wrote:

> What I noticed was missing in his description was the very important
> veneer (or card stock) splints that should be on both sides of the key.

Yes, I've always considered some kind of reinforcement necessary.

> I've come across broken key repairs (done by others) that didn't have the splints,
> only to find the the key broke in the same place because they didn't dry fit the parts
> cleanly, didn't clamp, didn't use the splints, or all of the above.  It much more difficult
> to properly repair the key the second time through because of all the dry glue blebs in
> the usually jagged end of the break.

Clamping isn't necessary, but making an attempt to get the broken halves
back together as cleanly as you can most definitely is. Re-broken
repairs in my experience have been from not only the lack of
reinforcement, but an obvious disregard for aligning and refitting the
joint when it was glued. It's always amazed me how sloppy and careless
these reassemblies were. Use of an inappropriate glue is also a common
find. For some reason, there were a number of people in years past who
were under the mistaken impression that Duco was a workable woodworking
glue. I've found lots of crunchy yellowed celluloid-like junk in poorly
fitted failed joints from day 1-1/2, and it just makes a real repair
more difficult as do most quick and dirty shortcuts. I find that regular
old original Titebond works as well as, and probably more permanently
than most, and sets up plenty fast enough to be practical. Application
of the card stock scab over the repair quickly acts as a very effective
clamp as the card absorbs moisture from the glue (spread thinly on the
key) and locks on. I've never seen a well fitted, manilla reinforced,
carpenters glue repaired break in a key fail, and it doesn't take a lot
of time to do it right the first time.
Ron N