[pianotech] Possible adaptation for the Tuning Exam

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 10 15:47:16 MST 2012

Hi, Duaine:
It could probably be used, but for that matter, you could use a chromatic tuner and achieve the same result.  Yes, you would have to tweak it by ear to make it work, with either one.  I know a guy who used a chromatic tuner, without tweaking, but the result was dismal.  Can you do unisons with it?  I suppose, but probably not good enough for a decent tuning.  If you're on a budget, and want to maybe do pitch raises and such, it might come in handy.  I just saw one on Craigslist for $39.
As far as a pitchpipe, I'm not sure how much they cost for digital, but might be even cheaper.  In any case, you'll have to dust off your aural tuning skills.  The pitch pipe will not read the pitch, but you'd have to listen and match the string by ear.  Sanderson makes the Accu-Fork, which will give you pitch control + or -.  Costs a lot more, too.
An ETD does not a piano tuner make (without skills and training).
But, you know that already.
Paul McCloud
San Diego