[pianotech] Possible adaptation for the Tuning Exam

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Sun Nov 11 12:29:42 MST 2012

A pitch pipe is not as 'clean' as a true pitch fork.  Why use a dirty
sounding pipe?  At least get a clean and pure tone from a good fork! If
your fork is like a harmonica, you can vary the pitch with the amount of
air you blow into it.  Come on dude, join the gang. You're not going to
win any of these arguments when preaching to the choir on setting a true
A-440. Even if that pitch pipe is on, you're going to hear lots of other
"noises" going on rather that a nice and true tone from a well made fork.
I have the one from England absolutely true, even with a 10 degree air
temp variance.  It's the big one I got 23 years ago.  None of those measly
skinny ones!  The big one is essential for setting concert tunings, but I
guess you don't get that opportunity, Sorry, bud.

Sorry, man, but the pitch pipe is substandard!

Paul