[pianotech] Improving the content of this list

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 14:56:09 MST 2012

If everybody does this, then you will never know, if I have a legitimate
question or comment to make.

Duaine.  I'm sure you've heard the expression. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".

You specialize in player and pump organ repair. I think that's great, and we need people like you in our industry. When I was in St. Louis, whenever a customer called me about this kind of work I would refer them to Bill Trefts or Bill Reichert. Other tuners in St. Louis would refer customer to me who were in the market for a new or used piano, or rebuilding work. Even out here in Hawaii I get calls from customers who were referred to me by a PTG on the mainland. In other words, the best source of business are the other tuners in the PTG.

You've complained that your business has not been great. You blame the lack of business on competition from older more established tuners in St. Louis. That might be true, but they can also be the best source of new customers for you. All those piano tuners who've been around for a long time also know a lot of customers who have player pianos, and even pump organs. Wouldn't it be in your best interest to get to know those tuners, and be on speaking terms with them, so that they can refer player work to you. But from what I've heard from other tuners in St. Louis, and from what you've told us here on the list, you don't want anything to do with them. In fact, you've stated openly that you don't like them.

So Duaine, perhaps you're making your own bed. You're loosing out on a lot of business by your behavior and your actions. Think about it.

WIm