[pianotech] CF Stein and Julius Bauer

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 16 21:28:26 MST 2012

Dale said,

Hi Bruce

Nice looking piano. The case is similar in shape to a 6 ft. J. Bauer we
restored. Do like the sound of this piano?

I've always been intrigued by these pianos. We don't see any out here on the
frontier. ;) Only seen 1 and liked it. The rib ends actually sat up on the
inner rim and appeared the rib ends were all that was glued to the rim.
Interesting sound. Do you see nay odd anomalies like that on this one?

Dale Erwin R.P.T.

Hello Dale,

Yes the sound of this piano is very nice; it is well balanced and even.  I
was only out to tune this Stein; I did not notice how the ribs were glued
in.  I would love to rebuild this piano, but I don't think that will happen.
The design is quite different from the Julius Bauer grand, thought they look
similar.  The Bauer has ribs on the top and bottom of the soundboard.  The
Stein only has them on the bottom, like we are used to seeing.  While the
Stein has a full perimeter plate, it is otherwise pretty standard.  The
Bauer plate is anything but.  The Bauer plate is also full perimeter, but
the plate also holds the inner rim.  The inner rim does not contact the
outer rim anywhere in a Bauer grand.  The inner rim is attached to the plate
which goes down about six inches lower than standard all around the piano.
The soundboard connects to cabinet wood only at the belly, by the action
cavity.  Bauer developed different methods of connecting the inner rim to
the plate.  On some he used wedges that were secured by screws.  On others
he used adjustable turn screws that could theoretically be used to adjust
the crown in the soundboard.  Bob Hohf wrote an article in the Journal about
this years ago.  Because of the massive plates on the Bauers, they are among
the heaviest pianos around.  If you ever restring  Julius Bauer grand, the
soundboard comes out very easily to service or to put aside while
refinishing.  When you pull the plate, the soundboard comes out with it.
You better double check the gear you use to pull that plate though, it
weighs maybe 80 percent more than the normal plate!  Both piano represent
Chicago piano building very well, even if they are really obscure these
days.  Of course we also see more of the PA Starck and other lesser grands
here in the Chicago area more than you get out west.

PS I am looking forward to getting those Weikert hammers from you next week.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT

North Shore Chapter

bdornfeld at earthlink.net