[pianotech] Hardening bass hammers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Nov 17 19:27:37 MST 2012

On 11/17/2012 5:47 PM, David Boyce wrote:

> I don't have much experience with using laquer etc to harden hammers,
> and I am looking for advice.

I sort of agree with Sig the mystery tech. I don't see why 80 year old
hammers would be too soft, but it's easy to find 80 year old wrapped
strings that are dead, or loose bass bridges in 80 year old pianos. I
think it's biggest problem is that it's 80 years old. <G> I second the
pluck test first to see what the strings actually have to give. However,
if it's the strings, I wouldn't try to save them by twisting or any
other heroic measures.
Ron N