[pianotech] 1810 Johann Fritz piano forte

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 19 18:57:50 MST 2012

I don;t see any pictures but I'd bet the bass device is a bassoon stop,
a roll of parchment that gets lowered onto the strings to buzz
attractively, and the bell falls into Turkish instrument category, it
might even have had a mallet to thump on the soundboard...
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/744195/Janissary-music and
http://tinyurl.com/cl23z7e

--- Dave
New Orleans