[pianotech] Knabe

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 11:49:11 MST 2012

Laura
My first guess given the six legs is that it was an Ampico Reproducer.  Look underneath the piano for signs of former player parts such as screw holes that used to hold things under the piano.  There would have been a drawer for the rolls that would have been under the keybed.  The keybed will have a slot cut out for the action to interact with the underside of the keys and there are usually holes drilled through the posts to allow hoses to pass through from one component to another.  It it was a Reproducer it was prbably made in the teens to twenties and as such should be able to be tuned at A 440 unless the obvious rust and other common piano maladies present themselves.  Knabe had several pianos with fairly square tails.
Norman Cantrell