[pianotech] Fwd: Re: Knabe

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 21 19:07:00 MST 2012

On 11/21/12 3:29 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:
> Oops! I did the same thing as you Dave! You jinxed me.<G>

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! Sorry bout that. But, as to 425,
in the earlier instrument world 392, 415 and 430 are commonly accepted
as standard pitches and winds and strings are constructed to that
standard. This is purely a matter of convenience so chamber groups and
orchestras can have common ground to work from. I have nothing against
425 as such but you may hit some resistance from performers if you
spring it on them unawares.

Hipkins/Helmholtz:

1828 	Philharmonic Society A 440

1834 	Vienna Opera A 436.5

1835 	Wolfels piano maker A443

1836 	Pleyel's Pianos A446

1846 	Philharmonic pitch was A452.5 (very high) which lasted till 1854

1846 	Mr Hipkins piano tuner (Meantone) A433.5 (Equal) A436.0

1849 	Broadwood's medium pitch was A445.9 which lasted till 1854

1858 	New Philharmonic pitch C522

1860 	Cramer's piano makers of London A448.4

1862 	Dresden Opera A 440

1871 	Covent Garden Opera House A 440

1877 	Collard's piano maker standard pitch was A 449.9

1877 	St. Paul Cathedral organ A446.6

1877 	Chappell Pianos A455.9

1877 	Mr Hipkins piano tuner A448.8

1878 	Her Majesty's Organ A436.1

1878 	Vienna Opera A447

1879 	Covent Garden Opera A450

1879 	Erard's factory fork 455.3

1879 	Steinway of England A 454.

1879 	British Army regulation pitch for woodwinds A451.9

1880 	Brinsmead, Broadwood, and Erard apparently used a pitch of A455.3

1880 	Steinway may have been using a pitch of A436. According to
Steinway of New York, 1880 is right around the time they switched from
three piece rims to the continuous rim that is used today. So it is
unlikely the pitch was any higher before 1880, yet Steinway of London
had a fork A454.7.

So in the period we are discussing 440 or better was common.
I have actually tuned 1880's Broadwoods at 450 with very nice results,
as long as no other instruments are involved.
I have straight strung ideas as well to throw out, after the holidays!

Best to all!

--
Dave Doremus, RPT
New Orleans