[pianotech] Knabe

Laura Olsen ajoyfulsound at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 07:43:03 MST 2012

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Thank you Joe, Norman,Jack, Dave and Thumpe.

You were right, it's a 1914 reproducer (but the reproducer has been replaced with a Piano Disc system.)  The owner says the finish is olive wood(?)  This is the same owner that has the bar-less Broadwood grand. I'm used to tuning pianos of this vintage at A435. I didn't think the frames were up to the resultant tension when tuned around A440.  The owner would like them tuned to A440 for the Piano Disc system background music will be in tune.  He's installed the PD system on the Broadwood grand I mentioned and 2 Broadwood cottage uprights (yes, David, with overdampers) and I've resisted tuning all these instruments at anything more than A435.

Am I wrong?  Is there no danger?

Laura Olsen,RPT
847-277-0778
www.ajoyfulsoundinc.com