[pianotech] Steinway Lyre bolts...

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at charter.net
Fri Nov 23 06:37:35 MST 2012

    If you want a "cheap and dirty" repair try this:  Carefully unwind the copper wrapping from a new or used heavy bass string so you wind up with what looks like a long spring.  Try to preserve the winding as small as possible.  Cut to the length of the bolt hole and insert.  Use as many as necessary.  Insert the bolt and tighten.  You may have to repeat the process by adding more lengths of copper.  It will conform itself to the hole when tightening the bolt.
    If you are familiar with Heli-Coil® inserts, this works the same way.  By creating new metal threads within the wood it will be a permanent repair and removing and replacing the bolt in the future will not be a problem.  The copper imbeds itself into the stripped hole.
    How does it hold?  On the ones I've done, I couldn't tighten the bolt any further, it really holds.  This works on legs also.  Try it, you'll like it..... Of course the best repair is the Tee-Nut process using machine bolts.
    Mike Kurta, RPT
    N. Michigan Chapter