[pianotech] Steinway Lyre bolts...

Norman Cantrell normancantrell at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 23 06:46:11 MST 2012

Rick
The best repair is to cut 1/2" plugs with a good quality plug cutter then drill out the stripped screw holes with a 1/2" forstner bit.  Glue in the plugs and trim off the excess then mount the legs as usual and drill new holes into the plugged keybed.  By cutting plugs you get the grain orientation the same as the wood in the keybed.   If possible use the same type of wood for the plugs i.e. poplar for poplar, maple for maple, etc.  You will need the piano on its side to perform this operation.
Second best repair is to cut strips of leather and glue them into the holes then re-install the leg screws.
Worst repair is to drill out the stripped holes and used dowels to plug.  You will end up with end grain for the screws to hold in which is not a good long term fix.
Norman Cantrell
As to the lost Steinway screws that is why I keep a box of large plate screws from old uprights that have been disassembled for salvage parts.  It is amazing how often cheek block screws and leg screws go missing.