[pianotech] Bird Cage Damper Adjustment

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 23 20:44:19 MST 2012

Patrick asked: "Does anyone have an efficient method for adjusting the
dampers on a
birdcage? I have replaced the felts along with the restringing.
Happy Black Friday!"

Patrick,
First of all, let's get a new habit, (if possible<G>),..they are called
Overdamper Pianos. K?<G> Secondly, There's nothing in "BlackFriday" to be
happy about, imo!
Now, to the business at hand:
Because the lever wire has two bends in it, you need to do two bends when
adjusting them. Be aware of interferrance with the hammers. The felt block
should be as close to the strike point, w/o rubbing on the top of the
hammers. A right angle damper wire bending tool is best for the rough
in/out of the head/damper felt. You should strive for the same as with
standard dampers. They should start to lift at half stroke. Oh, btw, make
sure that the action cams are tight and the middle damper rail support bolt
is solidly fastened, before attempting to make any adjustments. That rail
is very flexible and needs to be anchored during all adjustments and
regulation. Unfortunately, most techs think that the wire is how to make
the adjustments. It is ONLY for fine adjustment!!! Also, make sure that the
holes in the wippen lift are properly bushed and size, (kinda like grand
damper guide rails).
Hopefully, you copied the measurements and types of felt in the original.
If you went to the dumb side and replaced with wedge type felt, you are in
deep DODO! Remove that stuff and replace with the proper end-grain felt,
etc. (available from Fletcher -Newman in England! DO NOT TRY TO MAKE THE
DAMPERS DAMP LIKE A MODERN PIANO!!! It's not how they are designed nor is
it possible. GAAMHIK! (<G>) The original design was to mimic the "Ancient"
instruments sound, (my terminology), only louder and better playability.
Hope that helps. If you need more explicit direction, call me, as my
fingers are alread tired.<G>
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.