[pianotech] Collard & Collard

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:31:11 MST 2012

Joe, you're probably right that Beethoven probably never saw it since
nobody rarely travelled that far in those days.I'm not educated on his
travels.  Still, probably somebody of note probably did, locally, as
pianos were few and far between back then.  Who might have played this?
Mighty curious on this one!

As for pitch, you're probably right! It could have any range on pitch
center.  Anywhere from 415 to 430 or so plus or minus.  Who really knows?
Back then, each town in Europe or Asia had the "king" of the city
determine what was the true pitch, so we may never know where it was
designed to be.  I would guess something in the A415-435 range, since
"western". The farther east we go, the higher the pitch it seems. Even now
in the modern world.  Any orchestra coming from say, Germany and east
wants a higher pitch on the piano. At least that's what I encounter at the
university.  I haven't been asked for higher than A-442 though.  I'm sure
some ask for higher somewhere. Stretching octaves is another story.
Perlman, for instance, likes really stretched out octaves.  Too late for
me last year. But he loved it'!  I stretch octaves a bit beyond the norm...

Paul