[pianotech] The most intense taekwondo fight ever!

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Nov 28 17:53:00 MST 2012

Perhaps I watched the video with a certain "baggage". I will come to
that in a moment.

I do not think I agree that "we should refrain from any posts that don't
have at least music involved".  We are a nice little community here, and
although 99% of what we post is piano technology related, there is
surely scope for the little extras from time to time, as amusement or
information shared among friends.

I for one am glad that Del posted the fascinating table animation, as an
example of craftsmanship in wood (and in animation) and in design and
its execution.

Especially where a list member has been a regular contributor over
years, posting relevant and interesting information, and contributing
usefully to discussion threads, there must surely be some leeway for
such persons to occasionally send things to ths list which are not
directly about music.

What seems less permissible to me, however, would be for any who don't
make regular useful contributions, to post off-topic things about, say,
religion or politics which others, who may have strongly different
views, feel constrained by good manners and respect for the list, not to
reply to.

Regarding the particular martial arts video with the toddlers, perhaps I
reacted with a particular distaste because a couple of years ago the
media here in the UK covered the story of two young pre-school children
forced by their disgusting slatternly mothers to fight, and filmed on a
cellphone for adult amusement. I don't mean martial arts fighting in a
training setting. I mean a punch-up at home.  The mothers wre arrested
and the children, as far as I  recall, taken into care.

In trying to find this story online, I have discovered that there
appears to be a plethora of such cases, in various different countries.
I could post links here, but you can Google it.  One such case in the UK
- not the one I was seeking, gives us these charming details, as
reported in The Daily Mail:

"A cruel couple who were captured on tape forcing two little children
aged under eight to have an armed fight have been jailed.Ian Barclay,
20, and Gemma Mattinson, 26, made the boy and girl brawl then laughed
and cheered as the youngsters cried in pain and through fear.  The
shocking incident was captured on a mobile phone at a house in
Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, and showed the girl, wearing a pink dress,
being ordered to kick, punch and hit the boy with a broom, which is much
bigger than her. Both children could be heard sobbing as the boy tried
to hide behind a sofa but was dragged across the floor and banged into a
radiator by Barclay.Several distressed people left the public gallery at
Newcastle Crown Court in tears yesterday as the three-minute film was
played.  Prosecutor Glenda Turnbull told the court: 'The defendants
encouraged the children to fight each other.'They were both instructing
the girl how to attack the boy, telling her what to do, bringing the
children together, providing her with plastic sticks and a broom to use
against him.'The video footage is distressing, the children are
crying.'Miss Turnbull said it is unclear what injuries the children
suffered. Barclay can be heard shouting 'punch him, kick him, nut him'
on the tape and the girl is given sticks and a broom to use as a
weapons.  When the children tried to separate they were pushed back
together and goaded into fighting more, despite them screaming in
terror.  The pair were arrested when the person who taped the cruelty
showed the footage to a relative of one of the children.  Mattinson,
from Gateshead, told police she didn't realise what went on was 'quite
as bad' until she saw the footage.Barclay, from Gateshead, said it was a
'joke that had gone too far'.  Both of them admitted child cruelty
charges and have previous convictions for violence, though not against
children.Judge Roger Thorn jailed them both for eight months each".

Cases from the USA and other countries can also be found.

It struck me forcibly, watching the video from the link on this list,
that the young children were dancing about in that manner because they
did not want to tackle or fight each other.  I could be wrong.  I see
that their movements could be construed as amusing, but I thought the
whole thing, including the laughter, very distasteful.  I am as entitled
as a list member responding to an item posted to the list, to my view,
as others are  to theirs.  To my mind it is a pity, in a world filled
with strife, to see toddlers trained in combat.

Best regards,

David.