[pianotech] How To Deter Mice

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Nov 29 09:00:48 MST 2012

On 11/29/2012 9:13 AM, Larry Fisher RPT wrote:

> Cheese
> turns hard with age and I’ve found peanut butter to be longer lasting
> and more effective.  I use the crunchy type and actually push a part of
> the nut into the bait platform making it hard for the mouse to remove.

Many years ago, I had a mouse clean all the peanut butter off the
trigger without springing the trap. I was really impressed, but that
wasn't going to get it in the long run. So I disassembled a cotton ball,
packed it full of peanut butter, and wrapped it around the trigger.

Snap.

>The rafter tails on the
> roof are a lasting record of how damaging they can be.  I put up chicken
> wire and they chewed through that so I put up three layers of chicken
> wire and they finally stopped but I had to deal with at least two
> generations of squirrels to get them and their kids reprogrammed when I
> first moved here.
> Good luck.  Lar

Hail screen is the way to go here. Heavier wire gauge, much more chew
resistant. They'll make more noise trying to get through, what with the
breaking teeth and cursing, but they're far less likely to get past it.
The zinc dip will probably poison them too.
Ron N