[pianotech] Moulded keytops

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 29 16:32:41 MST 2012

Ron said:
"Look it up. It'll be good experience for you."
Ron,
Oooo I did and it made me all wet and gooey!<G> since you did not specify
Physical or Chemical deposition, I'll have to guess your basic intent.<G>
As a matter of fact, I use both! And with real Pre-Ban Ivory. (still have
some) (plus ground done in a powder coating process.<G>[not])
However, to the main subject, I prefer "Ivorine" aka "Pyralin". The problem
with "moulded" is that it implies that all keys are the same and that stuff
will be better and fit all keys. It isn't and doesn't, imo. And, it makes
more work in the end.
Too thick and if scratched, is a bear to buff out w/o destroying the darned
stuff.
That's my take on the stuff.
I know there are many who use it with reasonable success. If given a choice
I'd rather have some Plexiglass tops, as they used in Europe for quite a
few years. (Don't know if they still do.) Great stuff imo. More tricky to
trim for sure, but  bullet proof from then on.
Best,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police