[pianotech] How To Deter Mice

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Thu Nov 29 17:58:36 MST 2012

Cayenne Pepper.  It only took me all day to think of that.  I used Cayenne pepper in one instance and it worked well.  I posted the results in more detail on the other list but I couldn’t remember the name of the stuff during my morning coffee.  It seemed to accelerate the oxidation process on piano wire however and it buries itself deeply in understring felt to the point that you can’t vacuum it out.  In the case of an upright Paul, I can’t see any harm in using it all over the pedal board.  The trap I mentioned is a Victor product hence the rather LARGE V on the trap.  Duhr!!!  Once again, the grey matter is slow  ........  and getting slower.  That was another name that came to mind somewhere between my temperament setting and the bass octave on the first tuning today.  A 1972 K. Kawai KG2D HPE with a broken bench hinge.  Dried leaves inside the piano (no not pot and no I didn’t smoke any of it) and the room was adorned with colorful paintings on the wall.  An equally colorful lady and we had a very nice visit.

In addition to the squirrels and their shenanigans, I bought a Daisy.  No not the fine lively little babe from the Dukes of Hazard, no not the passenger in the movie “Driving Miss Daisy”, a child’s Winchester BB gun.  Yeah, the Great Plains long rifle of every kid’s dreams of the Wild West.  I’ve been oh so entertained every fall.  So many to choose from.  It’s like a video game.  A low scoring hit is just a dull thud.  A higher score is a back flip.  I get a free game if I get a kill but that’s only been twice in 30 years.  The olde guard is aware and runs frantically up any tree when I appear from anywhere.  The experienced ones know that if I don’t stand still they have a few minutes but then if I reappear they’d better be well on their way or gone because by then I’ve got my lever action unlocked and loaded.  The young ones pose for me.  Tree rats.  I’ve personally trained each and every new generation around here that this little piece of property has nasty nuts.  Fortunately for them and the pianos in my shop, my Filbert crop this year was about one out of four to six.  That kinda put a damper on my squirrel training for the year.

I don’t think we have hail screen here Ron but we do have quarter inch mesh or hardware cloth or metal fabric or what ever it’s called.  Maybe that product name will come to me next week during my second tuning on the third day of the week  ......... however I’m not counting on it.  If it ain’t written down  ................   I’m screwed.  Now then, where’s my glass of wine.