[pianotech] FW: FW: Fritz piano follow up

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Thu Nov 29 16:59:26 MST 2012

For those who were interested here is a bit more information about the Fritz
Bulwinkle piano.

Pics re-posted.

Gene

Dear Christi-Anne and Gene,

Greetings from Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra. Here is some information that
you might appreciate about the instrument, which is owned by Belle Bulwinkle
in Oakland:

"Michael [Belle's husband] and I [Belle] first saw it when it was in Edwin
Beunk's "bone yard" in Enschede, Netherlands - Edwin's name for a part of
his warehouse where he stores instruments that have not yet been restored.
At that time Edwin told us that the Fritz pianos were his favorite of all
fortepianos from this era.  Michael stowed this information away in his
mind.  Then, in the summer of 2001, he secretly arranged for Edwin to
restore this piano as a surprise present for me [Belle].  It arrived on
Christmas morning, 2002!  What a present - wow!  As you can imagine, this is
a very special piano to me.

The piano dates from 1805-10, and was built in Vienna by Johann Fritz.  It
has four pedals:  keyboard shift (the una corda), moderator (a piece of felt
that softens the sound), damper, and Janissary stop (with drum and a bell).
It also has a knee lever with a bassoon stop (a piece of silk that presses
against the bass strings).  It has a range of six octaves.  The case is made
of walnut."

Attached is a photograph of Emanuel Ax playing the instrument in rehearsal.

Inline image 2

Best regards,

Jeff Phillips
Artistic Administrator
Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra | philharmonia.org
414 Mason Street, Suite 606 | San Francisco, CA 94102
W: (415) 252-1288 <tel:%28415%29%20252-1288%20x301>  x301 F: (415) 252-1488
<tel:%28415%29%20252-1488>  M: (415) 205-2304 <tel:%28415%29%20205-2304>
Like us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/philharmoniabaroque>  | Follow
us Twitter <https://twitter.com/PhilharmoniaBar>

Please note our new mailing address, effective September 2012