[pianotech] Baldwin D String Rendering

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Nov 30 21:11:50 MST 2012

I have familiarity with this issue. I cut my teeth on a 1970 SD-10 which
had very difficult rendering in the
capo sections.

I did something a little like what Will did, only with less effort. I
didn't remove the coils from the tuning
pins, I just lowered pitch about an octave. Then I pulled the strings to
the side of each individual channel, and used strips of  medium and then
fine emery cloth to shoe-shine the bottom of the curved main bearings.
(Then moved them to the other side, ditto.)  There had been small
grooves in what looked like paint before I did this, and I saw a
metallic mirror-finish after I was done. I used a dental mirror and a
strong flashlight to look at the surfaces before and after. Even took
some close-up photos, which I have somewhere.

With the strings very slack, I pulled them out of the long curved
grooves in front of the bearings, and laid graphite from a 6B pencil
into the grooves. I didn't use Protek.

When I pulled the strings back up, the rendering was much smoother and
more controllable, and the jingling sizzling capo noises were much
better behaved. The piano continues (to this day) to be much more
tunable and stable, though I still give it some really heavy blows to be
sure it is settled. Once it is really settled, the tuning will stand up
to almost anything. One of my proudest moments was when Constantine
Orbelian rehearsed and then performed the Schnittke Concerto with the
Moscow Chamber Orchestra, and the tuning survived. ("Who me, worry?")

Thinking about it later, I realized that by slacking off the strings,
one side first, and then pulling them back up, other side first, it was
inevitable that the string's contact points on the capo bearing and
bridge pins were in new places. This simply because when one lets down
one side a long way, some wire works around the hitch pin -- obviously
it has to, since the pitch of the other side has dropped.  Therefore the
flattened wire from years of going around bridge pins and under the main
bearing were moved to new places. The tone was a lot better.

I prefer dealing with the capo grooves and the rendering problems to
using a lot of gaffer's tape or little cloth tents in the capo section,
though I will use some. Better to not have the jingling sizzles too
loud, instead of having them and trying to muffle them. Some sizzle is
simply needed, one just wants uniformity and the right amount of it. The
piano is a lot bigger and the tone more free if one doesn't have to
over-muffle the capo and back lengths to get rid of obnoxious noises.

I wrote a Journal article about this process.

I found, when I first started struggling with concert stability tuning
this instrument, that instead of pulling past pitch and banging it back
down, it works a lot better to very slowly pull upward exactly to pitch,
with a lot of fairly hard blows on the way. Try to stop exactly at pitch.

Just my experience ... by the way, struggling successfully with this
piano got me very fond of it. It has a wonderful rich sound, a
scrumptious (one might even say noble) bronze bass where the tone simply
will not break no matter how hard it is played, and the action has been
very cooperative for regulation and playability. I overheard some
chamber players (on tour) talking about it as they were rehearsing --
"this piano has REAL SUBSTANCE."

Susan Kline

P.S. I didn't need to remove a single termination piece, thank heavens.