[pianotech] Transporting a piano

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 19:56:51 MDT 2012

Years ago I built a one-man-piano-loader inspired by a 1920's ad and photo for such in Harvey Roehl's "Player Piano Treasury". The gist of it was a platform carriage that would be in a vertical position for strapping the piano to, that would then tilt backward and lock into place when the electric winch was activated which drew it toward the cab. (The castered carriage rode on 2" channel steel tracks with stops at the ends which both kept it from falling off the back of the '65 Chevy 3/4 ton (bed removed) this was built upon, AND provided a rotation point for the carriage to change orientation. ) I'm sure it wasn't as easy to use as the "professional" one in that 1920's ad, but as long as someone could help me get the piano backed up to it (uprights were easiest) I could transport them, and then unload them at my shop, solo, saving greatly on arranging for help and paying for it.

Thumpe