[pianotech] Tuning pins

Joseph Giandalone rufy at rcn.com
Mon Oct 8 17:28:43 MDT 2012

I've encountered this problem on the Georgia P22: On 2 successive tunings, broke one each of those strings (the top 2 single strings in the scale). Due to the design of the plate, those two strings will be at an extreme angle if the coils are set to a normal height above the plate webbing, causing a lot of stress to the string when you're raising pitch. AND, a tech support guy at Yamaha told me those 2 pins should be left higher than the others. In addition to the replacement strings, he offered to send me a couple of oversize tuning pins as well (so they'd be less likely to flagpole during tuning, I presume) – which is one of the weirder offers I've ever had from a piano company (I admire and commend their spirit of helpfulness tho –)

Joseph