[pianotech] Split Brace

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 19:21:05 MDT 2012

Laura said: "So, what to do about a split brace?"

Laura,
Well first, I'd call it a "Beam".<G> Then, I'd ask: "is it causing a
stability problem? Or???" If the answer was: "No." I'd say: "If it ain't
busted, leave it alone."<G>
 However, it actually is "broken", so to answer the initial question, I'd
say: " Put masking tape on one side and poke epoxy into the crack. Then,
put tape over that, and let it set up. Sand it smooth and put some varnish
on it. FYI, that looks like pressure crack caused by end to end stress.
That's my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police