[pianotech] Split Brace

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 10 19:19:49 MDT 2012

I'd leave it be.  Let's just call it "dual beam bracing" and make it a
feature. :-)

Closing it up will look better, but will add so much stress to things it
might cause other troubles.  This looks like the wood wasn't cut correctly,
and closing up a split in a log is not generally very productive.

If it was cause by some other strange forces acting on the beam, then I'd
agree that closing it up as Del described is a good plan.  But if the split
looks tapered from side to side in the beam, or if it is closed on the
opposite side from the picture, I'd think about leaving it alone.

Don Mannino