[pianotech] front rail punchings

Robert Anderson randerson79 at cox.net
Thu Oct 11 09:45:11 MDT 2012

In the posts I've read about Crescendo vs. "squishy" punchings, there
are a couple of points I haven't seen discussed. One is that I assume
the Crescendo punching will retain its initial compressibility
characteristic longer than the "squishy" one. That seems to be a good
thing wrt how long the regulation will last. I know technicians who
pre-compress front rail punchings (and balance rail punchings, too)
on a bolt, clamped between two washers in order to start out with a
more stable punching. I like to start out with thinner punchings for
the same reason. If the Crescendo is too firm for pianists' comfort or
too noisy, then something approaching its stability can be achieved
with more standard punchings like Pianotek's (which I like).
The other thing is that it seems to me that the most critical
consideration in setting keydip is to make it play reliably at ppp
level. As David Love pointed out, experienced technicians develop a
consistency of touch that is independent, I think, of the
compressibility of the punching. At any rate, that is what I strive
for. Whatever standard of pressure I choose, I am most concerned with
how it plays at ppp.

Do you buy that?

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ