[pianotech] Cresendo Punchings was RE: Hammer Blow

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 21:51:51 MDT 2012

When I first heard this reported years ago I was very skeptical (and, btw,
remain so).  But many seem to corroborate the phenomenon.  I do think that
you can't really separate touch and tone.  Sluggish pianos sound duller,
facile pianos sound brighter, we've all had people give those reports.
Touch and tone are closely interlinked and I do certainly wonder if there
isn't something to the notion of a firmer landing creating a *sense* of more
focused tone.

One thing is certain, the landing impacts one's overall experience in
playing the piano.  Like all things it becomes integrated into the overall
experience and is yet another factor which we should be cognizant of.  The
devil is in the details and, damn, if we are really being thorough, there
are a lot of details!

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com