[pianotech] Cresendo Punchings was RE: Hammer Blow

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Oct 12 16:32:09 MDT 2012

>> I've heard that said before, but I can't come up with a theory that
>> explains HOW a punching that is not contacted until after the hammer
>> has disconnected from the key, can affect the tone? I'd be very
>> interested if anyone can provide an explanation. Thanks.
There is some misconception among piano technicians about how actions actually work when played above mf or f .
Not only can the key contact the front rail punching before the hammer hits the string, in some cases contact is made before or just as the hammer begins to move upward (!)  This is clearly visible in high speed video footage.   It depends on the action and the attack, etc. I remember seeing this for the first time over 15 years ago.
There will be differences between pianos and actions of course, and this could explain why the effect of Crescendo punchings on the tone is noticeable in some situations and less (or not) in others.
I hope this helps to clarify.
Jurgen Goering